Did you know, Choice Screening has a 99.99% accuracy rate? A remarkably accurate background check is what we strive for. Would you like to experience The Choice Difference?
Your applicant just told you something was incorrect or inconsistent on their background screening report. Now what?
Dispute and Reinvestigation Process
- Your applicant lets you know something is incorrect on their report. Regardless of whether this item impacted your decision to hire, the applicant has a right to request a reinvestigation to have the information corrected.
- You will provide your applicant with the Dispute Form.If you don’t have one handy, let us know and we’ll send you one. Tell them to be as explicit and detailed as possible!
- Your applicant will send Choice Screening their completed and signed Dispute Form, initiating the dispute process. If they have any supporting documentation in hand – a letter from their attorney stating the identified record was expunged, for example. It is extremely helpful to provide this along with the Form.
- Once received, Choice Screening’s researchers will begin investigating the items identified as incorrect by the applicant. We will access the files where the information was retrieved, follow up with necessary parties, and ensure records are updated appropriately (or confirmed as already accurate).
- After our researchers complete their reinvestigation, we send you and your applicant a copy of the report.This lets you know what changes were made or what information was confirmed as accurate as reported. Your applicant will also receive a copy of the completed reinvestigation.
There is never a charge when a Consumer Reporting Agency reinvestigates information on a background screen in correlation with a dispute. The FCRA does not permit agencies to charge for a dispute investigation. It is important to ensure information provided on a report is accurate and up to date – big or small, impactful on the hire or not.
Reinvestigation research can take approximately 1-4 weeks; we work to get you a revised report as quickly as possible. Just as each case is unique, the time it takes to reinvestigate correlates similarly. Providing as much supporting information as possible as well as a clearly and thoroughly completed Reinvestigation Form has great impact on our research. Keep this in mind when you and your applicant are waiting on reinvestigation results.
Reinvestigations are tied in with Adverse Action… don’t miss our blog on this topic.
As part of any good hiring strategy, partner with a background screening provider you can trust, stay informed, and do not forget to consult legal counsel. Please note: this blog is not all-encompassing and not meant to provide legal advice.